skip navigation

Stillwater Bantam B1 beats Chaska in Midwest Regional opener

By frederick61, 12/27/12, 2:45PM CST


/12/after-scoring-he-goes-flying-1024×652.jpg” alt=”" width=”553″ height=”352″ /> Chaska’s Zach Anderson goes flying after scoring to tie the game early in the third period. Stillwater won the game 4-3

In the precursor to the “big battle”, Stillwater Red Bantam B1 beat a tough Chaska team today in the quarterfinals of the Midwest Regional Tourney being played at Bloomington Ice Garden this weekend.  When Wayzata beat Andover 11-1 in the second tourney game, the stage was set for the battle between the two top ranked bantam B1 teams in the state this year; #1 Wayzata against #2 Stillwater on the BIG ice (rink 3) Friday.

YHH will be there to cover the game.

The Stillwater Red BBI opened the Midwest Regional Tourney Thursday with a 4-3 win over Chaska.  With that victory, the #2 ranked Stallions upped their record to 16-1-2.  Their single loss was to White Bear Lake Orange 2-1 early in the season.  Since that loss Stillwater has gone unbeaten in 13 games.  The Red are currently fourth in D2 tied with Tartan, but have played less games then the D2 leaders. Chaska is tied with Edina for the lead in District 6. The Hawks had a 7 game D6 win streak end with a 2-1 loss to Eden Prairie a week ago.  The Hawks came into the game ranked #34 by YHH, but they are an improving team.  Chaska with this loss now has a 10-8-1 record. The Hawks were not expected to push Stillwater, but they did.  If it weren’t for a fluky hop in center ice, the two teams might still be playing that game.  It was that close.

Period One

Stillwater scored in the first minute of the opening period to take a 1-0 lead.  The Stallion’s Michael Kaufman got the goal, TJ Sagissor got the assist.  After that score, Stillwater pressured the Chaska goal over the next 6 minutes.  The Stallion’s basically pinned Chaska in Chaska’s zone and would not let them out, at least, not for very long. 

At the 6 minute mark, the Hawks escaped and gained control of the puck in Stillwater’s zone behind the net.  An attempted pass toward the left boards was kicked by a Stillwater defender.  The puck beat the Stillwater goalie between his left pads and the pipe.  Chaska’s Patrick Newell got the unassisted goal to tie the score 1-1. Three minutes later, Chaska scored again.  This time Spencer Smith got the goal, Karl Johnson and Colin Moser got the assists.  Chaska led 2-1. Stillwater pressured the Hawks in the remaining minutes of the first period, but could not score.  The Stallions looked ready to take over the game in the second period.  They didn’t.

The second period opened with a Stillwater scoring in the first 30 seconds.  The Stallion’s Mathew Stanton took the puck along the right end boards behind the net, beat the Stillwater defense, and cut in front of the net on the short side.  Stanton banged the puck between the goalie’s skates and drifted backward looking for the rebound.  There was none.  Stillwater had tied the game 2-2.  Kaufman got the assist. Ten seconds after that score, disaster struck the Stallions.  They took a 2 minute elbowing penalty.  Chaska set up in the power play and pummeled the Stillwater net, but could not get the good shot.  The Stallions killed the elbow penalty and almost to the second the first penalty ended, drew another two minute penalty for hooking. Chaska tired a little on the second power play.  Stillwater was able to clear the puck more often to relieve the pressure.  But just as the hooking penalty was ending, Stillwater drew another 2 minute penalty and went back on the penalty kill for two more minutes.  The third Chaska power play put real pressure on the Stillwater defense.

Stillwater killed the third penalty and just as it was ending drew a fourth penalty for hooking.  Whether Chaska was too tired or Stillwater more determined, but the fourth power play was flat.  The Stallions easily kept the puck out of their zone.  This time when the penalty was over, Stillwater kept five forwards on the ice. For most of the second period, the Stallions had skated shorthanded.  At full strength, the Stallions trapped the Hawks in their zone for most of the next two minutes.  With one minute left in the period, they scored.  The Stallion’s Brody Swanson got the goal, George Uppgren and Brett Kohanek got the assists. Stillwater took a 3-2 lead into the third period. The third period opened with Chaska scoring.  Chaska broke into the Stillwater zone with a forward carrying the puck along the right boards.  He snaked a pass through to Zach Anderson in the slot and behind the defense.  Anderson soled into the goalie at the top of the crease, punched the puck through the goalie and went flying.  It was the tying goal.  Jack Pries and Johnny Sigurdson got the assists.

The crowd was now into the game and the two teams were flying.  A Chaska penalty at the 10 minute mark barely slowed the game down.  But after that goal, for the next 4 minutes, nobody got a shot on the net. At the 9 minute mark, Stillwater tried a long cross ice pass in front of the Chaska defense.  The defenseman stepped up to intercept the slow moving puck at the center blue line when the puck took a weird hop and bounced over his stick onto Sigurdson’s stick.  The Stallion carried the puck low to the right side and beat the Chaska goalie high in the left corner for the winning goal.  It was a strange hop. That was the game.  Chaska pressured the Stillwater net, but the Stallions defense stiffened.  In the last three minutes, Stillwater played five forwards between the Chaska blue line and the red line and were successful in cutting off the Hawks from the Stillwater net. So the big game is tomorrow.  Unbeaten Wayzata Navy will play the once beaten Stillwater Red and YHH will cover the game.

Recent MN YHH News